Thursday 23 May 2013

Confessions of a Coke Addict

I managed to give up caffeine four times in my life.  Every time that I was pregnant, I gave up all caffeine cold turkey, and I didn't drink it at all while I was pregnant or breastfeeding.  After little boss was weaned, I slowly started incorporating caffeine into my diet again.  That was probably a mistake.

I don't drink; I don't smoke; I don't use any drugs and I try to eat healthily.
I am also addicted to diet Coke (preferably from a fountain, not can or bottle).

I know that it is bad for me, and that the aspartame is carcinogenic, and that it has no nutritional value.  I have seen the science experiments where a tooth is left in a bottle of Coke until it gets dissolved by the soda.  I know.

I also just really enjoy it.  It's probably not the best attitude to have, but, if I'm completely honest, I feel like I'm entitled to one vice. Just one.  One little indulgence that is just for me and the kids aren't allowed to even taste and that doesn't take any time in my very busy schedule.  Coca Cola is, after all, a Southern institution.  It is cultural, and unless you are from the South (especially the Atlanta area), I don't think you can fully understand how real and not at all joking that is.  I love old Coca Cola signs and the look of vintage Coke products.  I drink way too much diet Coke...and yet...and yet.... There's something beyond the unhealthiness that bothers me.  Should I really feel this devoted to a company?  Coke has shaped and continues to shape culture.  Our entire modern image of Santa Claus was based on Coke ads, which is more than a little ridiculous.

Mostly, I saw this image and wanted to share.  Take from it what you will.

Image borrowed from Upworthy and inspired by Banksy and, obviously, Coca Cola:
I don't think they would mind me sharing.
(I found the image here.  Then the creator of the image contacted me.  She didn't ask me to remove the image, so I won't.  I will give her credit, though, for great design work.  Click here to check out her website.)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Damara!
    My name is Karina Nurdinova.
    This poster is actually my personal work I did a year ago. My project got viral but unfortunately nobody is mentioning me at all. Such a shame.

    http://www.behance.net/wip/121633/245039
    http://thisislevitation.tumblr.com/post/25365171609?og=1&fb_action_ids=3846645898802&fb_action_types=tumblr-feed%3Apost&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=457116589995#
    http://weheartit.com/entry/33691114
    http://designspiration.net/image/3548909400119/

    May I ask to have any reference on this article?
    Thank you,
    Karina

    ReplyDelete