Tuesday 26 October 2010

Sleep...or lack of it.

It's one of life's little paradoxes that being pregnant makes you more tired, but it can also make it more difficult to sleep.  You wake up to pee a lot more than normal (or at least I do).  Once you start feeling your baby kick, they'll probably decide that the middle of the night is a good time to practice their baby kick boxing.  By the last weeks you're big and it's hard to get comfortable and awkward to move around in bed.

Here's the thing though: I'm only 12 weeks along.  I don't look pregnant yet, and my baby's too small for me to feel their movements.  For some reason, though, I've had a really hard time sleeping this week.  There's no obvious reason why.  I feel fine; I'm not stressed.  I just can't sleep.  I'll toss and turn and then when I finally do fall asleep, I'll wake up and look at the clock--only to discover that it's only about 20 minutes later than the last time I looked.  All of this not sleeping and restlessness has made my neck stiff and sore.  It does seem to help to have a wheat pillow.  I have one of those roll shaped pillows filled with wheat and lavender.  The great thing about it is that you can pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and then go to bed with it warm and soothing against your neck.  I still didn't get a good night's sleep with it, but my neck hurt less after using it.

Here's hoping that I can start sleeping again soon.

Here are a few articles I found about sleeping difficulties during pregnancy ("Ways To Cope With Insomnia During Pregnancy" and "Sleep During Pregnancy") .  Hopefully they'll have some helpful advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment